London is a historic, lively, and culturally diverse city that is home to over 8.3 million people. It is also a world center for trade, commerce, and the arts, making it a popular and continually growing destination for those who are seeking a truly unique urban living experience.
It comes a little surprise, then, that the options in terms of choosing a London neighborhood to call home are reflective of the broad range of social, cultural, and ethnic diversity within the city’s population base.
Of Interest To House Hunters: Some Of The Best Places To Live In London
With a population density of 3,900 people per square mile, living in London is certainly a proverbial exercise in “rubbing shoulders with your neighbor.” That said, there are numerous neighborhoods with a unique cultural flavor all their own.
For those looking to live in an urban area that suits their personal social tastes, this is a city that truly offers something for everyone. In no particular order, here is a rather diverse list of what is considered to be five of the top living choices in London. For purposes of covering the city as thoroughly as possible, London has been divided into five zones; one for each of the top living options.
What makes me qualified to give such advice? Well, before I moved to London, I helped start a custom home building company in Perth that designed custom homes.
You can check out more about them here.
1. NorthWest London – Belsize Park:Known as one of the most beautiful and picturesque suburban neighborhoods in London, Belsize Park is located just over three miles from Central London. It boasts exquisite architecture via itsstucco Victorian houses, and has postcard perfect, tree-lined streets.The area is highly valued by celebrities, so rentals are not cheap. Most available living space is found in converted Victorian houses, which have flats available.
2. South London – Wimbledon:One of the most well known areas of London for obvious reasons (think tennis), Wimbledon also offers a host of other bonuses for those who choose to live in its friendly confines. You won’t have trouble finding a nice place to eat or have a drink, as there is no shortage of fine restaurants, and bars from which to choose. Wimbledon has a reputation as being a safe, friendly, and culturally diverse community. Cost of living is also varied, and one can find an interesting combination of brown brick apartment buildings, townhouses, and even some mansions in this uniquely beautiful area.
3. East London – Dalston:Lots is always happening from a cultural perspective in this part of town, which is well known as a favorite hangout for hipsters and the artistic crowd. Dalston certainly lives up to this reputation, and has been branded as one of the “coolest places in Britain.” Extremely popular with the young, creative arts crowd; a thriving nightlife and an abundance of cafe hangouts await those who opt to live here. A diversity of properties and architecture can be found in Dalston, so rental costs are equally diverse.
4. SouthEast London – Greenwich:This growing section of London is currently attracting new businesses, and has excellent transportation via the railroad if you prefer to not drive. Specifically, Greenwich is only five miles from the center of London, and it boasts the Royal Observatory, and many historical buildings. The neighborhood also has a great food market, an antique market, and numerous pubs. Rentals are generally flats that are rather budget-friendly.
5. SouthWest London – Chiswick:This quiet community was once a fishing village, and has now become a very popular living area for professionals and young families, as demonstrated by its excellent primary schools. It provides plenty of green space and trees, and offers excellent pubs, delicatessens, cafes, and a beautiful shopping area. It offers a nice variety of properties, many of which have old Victorian and Edwardian style houses. While it can be fairly pricey to live here, a range of price brackets can be found.
Life in London offers something for everyone. If living here is what you desire, you are sure to find a neighborhood that suits your own unique personal tastes and interests. Millions of people in this bustling city would agree.